How can a private investigator help with child custody?
5 ways private investigator can help with child custody.
No rational human being likes to or wants to hear about children being abused or neglected in any way. Yet, with COVID-19 forcing families to be together for extended periods of time, the unfortunate case is that this has caused an increase in abuse against children.
Being stuck at home caused many to become angry and depressed towards the lockdown situation and it caused many to become aggressive towards their children. We have received many calls from parents who didn’t realize their spouse was capable of harming their children. They’re now worried that they’ve possibly married a “monster” and are seeking to get out of the relationship.
They often consult with attorneys to discuss their options and those attorneys usually tell them they need to gather evidence of the abuse or neglect. Sometimes these people already have evidence such as photographs of bruising or affidavits from neighbors, but many times they do not. It’s then that the attorney will suggest they hire a private investigator to assist in gathering the evidence. People in this scenario often ask, “How can a private investigator help with child custody?”
Well there are many ways a private investigator can help with child custody and abuse investigations:
- Listening – the private investigator can listen and document your stories and your suspicion and then work with your attorney to develop the best course of action to support your case. The private investigator should be able to come up with ideas you hadn’t already thought about. This comes from their experience in the field. They should also be able to advise you when your ideas are either not applicable or possibly illegal.
- Interviewing children – the private investigator can interview the children (in some cases) to determine whether or not the allegations are true. Children can be very creative and there are horrible cases where children have made up stories that have sent people to jail.
- Interviewing neighbors – neighbors often see and hear more than you might think. A competent private investigator conducting strategic interviews of neighbors can reveal lots of useful information. It’s possible the children of the neighbors play with the children in question, and it’s possible they go home and tell THEIR parents about what’s happening. Obtaining affidavits from these people can be very helpful to a court case.
- Surveillance of the children – surveillance of the children can reveal the parent “dumping” the children with a grandparent, or leaving the children alone for extended periods of time. All of this is evidence of neglect and not valuing the custody time they have with the child. A private investigator can obtain video evidence of this and coupled with the private investigator’s testimony at court this becomes very compelling.
- Background checks – without being too dramatic, everyone who comes in contact with your children is a potential danger to them. By finding out who comes in contact with the children on a regular basis the private investigator can then look into their backgrounds to make sure they don’t have a bad criminal record. This agency has worked a child custody case previously and determined an adult that had free access to the children. You do not want this type of situation to arise.
So, as you can see there are many ways a private investigator can help with a child custody case. You just need to discuss the possibility of hiring a private investigator with your attorney.
If you are looking for an affordable licensed private investigator, with 20 years of experience assisting individuals, attorneys and corporations feel free to contact us here. You can also view a portion of our extensive client list here, and see what actual clients say about us here.